Friday, September 11, 2015

Rattvik Style

There are many Swedish painting styles. Many of them are reserved for certain types of projects. Rattvik was used on furniture in the 1700's and I wondered why in the hundreds of years since then that no one ever though"what would happen if I adapted it to horses?". The nearly monochromatic color palatte and easy border patterns fit with many of today's decorating styles and mix well with other ethnic designs.



This is my first attempt at working in this style. I need to do further experiments for the proper shade of greyish white and stained, grained background but I find the early results encouraging.



 The white dots on black were not part of my research but seemed to go well with the rest of it.



 I'm looking forward to developing these designs further.


I even incorporated pictures of my horse on my inspiration pages to spin together with a few other ideas simmering on the back burner right now.


I wonder how many other people have considered blending Swedish  and Native American patterns and ideas together? The results should be interesting.


I'm having fun filling in other bits of the page in pencil and ink. It will be fun to see where it leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment