Thursday, June 25, 2015

wood blank, carving,shaping and sanding dala horses


This is the sort of wood blank that I start with. our senior center has a wood carving group and there are a couple of people there that will cut them out for me on the scroll saw. You may be able to find one in your area too.



Here are a few horses in different stages. The one on the left is the blank, the one in the center has some carving on it and the one on the right is shaped, finished and ready to paint.



I do the rough shaping with a carving knife and then shape things the way I want an assortment of sanders and sanding sponges. Sometimes I even use emery boards. 



Yesterday my husband clamped and orbital palm sander to a workbench so that I only had to move the horse instead of having to hang on to the sander and that made things a lot easier to work with. Keep experimenting until you find out what works best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment